Tuesday, April 23, 2013

2013 Draft: Top 30 Defensive Players

After countless hours evaluating the defense, I've finally ranked the top 30 overall defensive prospects for the Eagles. Remember: I'm ranking them based on how they fit in Philadelphia, not their overall skills. So players like Bjoern Werner and Sheldon Richardson are going to fall a bit.

Here's my rankings:

1. DL Star Lotulelei, Utah
Lotulelei is a disruptive force up the
middle and has elite versatility.
2. OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon
3. DE/OLB Ziggy Ansah, BYU
4. DL Sharrif Floyd, Florida
5. OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU
6. CB D.J. Hayden, Houston
7. CB Dee Milliner, Alabama
8. OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
9. S Eric Reid, LSU
10. S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
11. CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
12. ILB Arthur Brown, Kansas State
13. OLB Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
14. ILB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
15. DE/OLB Tank Carradine, Florida State
16. DE Datone Jones, UCLA
17. DL Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
If he checks out  medically
"Tank" has elite upside
18. S Matt Elam, Florida
19. DL Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
20. S Jonathan Cyprien, FIU
21. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
22. DL Kawann Short, Purdue
23. OLB Corey Lemonier, Auburn
24. CB Johnathan Banks, Mississippi State
25. DE Margus Hunt, SMU
26. OLB Bjoern Werner, Florida State
27. CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
28. OLB Jamie Collins, Southern Mississippi
29. CB Jamar Taylor, Boise State
30. CB Darius Slay, Mississippi State

What it means:

- Lotulelei, Ansah, Carradine, and Hankins are all higher on my list than most based on their versatility. The Eagles plan on running some type of hybrid scheme, so these players have added value. 

- I'm really not high on Missouri DL Sheldon Richardson. He has less-than-desirable size, 13 career starts, three career sacks and some character concerns. Not my type of player.

- D.J. Hayden is above Dee Milliner based on two things: his versatility (skilled in both man and zone coverage) and Milliner's lengthy injury bill.


Please give me some feedback, tell me what you liked, disliked.

I appreciate all the re-tweets on Twitter, there's no better way to share my articles.

Follow me on Twitter @Matt_Chastain25 and @OfficialEagles_, I'll get you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment